6 Tips for a Healthier Summer BBQ
Grilling is a fun way to prepare some of your favorite foods, especially during the summer. Try out a new recipe and follow these tips to make your summer cooking adventures healthy and flavorful this season!
- Add color. So many different fruits and veggies can be grilled, alone or in kebabs. Try out a few new things on the grill.
- Choose healthier sides. Try a bean salad, a green salad, or a fruit salad instead of the traditional macaroni or potato salad.
- Choose whole grain buns. Whole grain bread is filled with fiber and flavor. You can also always try a lettuce wrap.
- Grill fruits for dessert. Try throwing some apples, pears, or pineapples on the grill for a sweet treat.
- Know your portions. A healthy portion of any meat is about 3 ounces or the size of a deck of cards.
- Try to avoid red meat. Grill meats like pork, chicken, or even fish like salmon.
For more tips on keeping your summer Barbeque safe, Check out the CDC Get Ready to Grill Safely at www.cdc.gov/foodsafety