HHS Releases Guidance Related to Annual Dollar Limit Waivers
PUTTING PEOPLE FIRST
On Feb. 13, 2012, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) stated a health insurance issuer that has received a waiver of the annual dollar limit requirements pursuant to Section 2711 of the Public Health Service Act for a group health insurance product can sell that product to a self-insured grandfathered group health plan that has itself been granted a waiver and wishes to switch from being a self-insured plan to a fully insured plan, as long as the following criteria are satisfied:
1. In all cases, the plan sponsor must have been offering group health coverage to its employees before Sept. 23, 2010, for which it obtained from HHS a waiver of the annual limits requirement;
2. The issuer from which the group health plan is now obtaining the insured policy must have obtained a waiver from HHS for the newly purchased policy;—
3. The annual limits of the new policy may not be lower than the annual limits of the previous policy, except in the situation outlined in No. 4;
4. The plan sponsor may obtain a replacement policy with a lower annual limit only if other comparable coverage is not available. If a plan purchases a lower annual limit policy due to lack of comparable coverage, this change would cause a loss of status under 45 CFR 147.140(g)(1)(vi)(C), relating to status as a grandfathered health plan.-
5. The health insurance issuer must obtain from the plan sponsor an attestation that the criteria outlined above are satisfied, and the attestation must be accompanied by documentation outlining the terms of the prior coverage. Issuers shall retain this information in accordance with the data retention requirements of the Sept. 3, 2010, and Nov. 5, 2010, annual limits guidance documents.
6. To the extent not superseded here, all prior HHS guidance regarding annual limits waivers continues to apply to the plan and policies described here.
Feedback From Our Happy Customers
I wanted to take a moment and tell you how absolutely thrilled I am to have Innovative Benefit Planning as my broker. We moved over roughly a month ago and I have never received service like I have since making the transition. With so many employers being challenged with COVID19 and us making the move right in the middle, it could not have been more seamless. Everything was set up to exceed all expectations and it continues. Innovative Benefit Planning has taken the worry and stress away. It was truly the best decision for Title Alliance and I look forward to a long and productive partnership.
The Innovative team is well respected at AFS. My staff and I feel they are an extension of our HR team! Since implementation, they have always remained committed to assisting AFS with all of its healthcare needs; in fact, it doesn’t matter what time of day, they always respond in a timely manner.
Each year they come up with fresh material so our employee’s interest is always peaked. A few years ago, Innovative provided us with documentation to show that moving from a fully insured program to self-insured would be more cost effective for AFS, and it has been! Innovative has truly made our jobs easier so we can focus on other tasks.
As an HR professional, Innovative makes my job easier and benefits administration much less overwhelming than it would otherwise be.
They are truly a partner with me to make sure our team members have the best benefits and service around their benefits that we can offer. Innovative’s team is responsive, professional and resourceful. (They are at the forefront of knowledge in many areas, including ACA reporting and compliance, which can get highly complicated.)
As a client for the last 4 years, we love working with our Innovative Benefit Planning team because of their service model, scope , depth and quality of expertise in handling our benefits and renewals.
Their level of commitment just keeps getting better each year. They have more than met our expectations on renewal negotiations, response time, assistance with ongoing plans, open enrollment material, meetings, support, bill auditing, and wellness programs.
Since our partnership with Innovative Benefit Planning in 2017, it has been a seamless one. Innovative always provide options, suggestions and recommendations when it comes to our benefits renewal.
Innovative is always present even when open enrollment ends, their year round communication reminds me that I can always reach out for help at any time. Their professionalism is the utmost one can expect. My account representative Jenni is wonderful, courteous, knowledgeable and very helpful.
We have been dealing with Innovative Benefit Planning for many, many years. They have given us nothing but exceptional service.
We can pick up the phone or email them and they always resolve our questions and take care of our employees insurance issues in a very timely manner. They negotiate our insurance rates every year and have managed to reduce the increase every year. Every account manager we’ve had throughout the years have been great to work with.
I have been working with Innovative Benefit Planning for over six years. Previous to Innovative, I had used the same broker for about 25 years. I was used to doing everything myself during open enrollment with my previous broker.
When Innovative came on board, I was pleasantly surprised how “on top” of things they were. I never have to call them and bother them about getting rates to me for open enrollment, as they are in touch with our carriers on a regular basis, and they get me my information for open enrollment as soon as they receive it from the carriers.